Welcome to the annual Pigtown Festival in Limerick, Ireland
[check back regularly for updates]
From Saturday Sep 17th until Oct 1st 2022:
Limerick Food Heritage Memorabilia Exhibition – Limerick Museum presents a specially curated exhibition at St Mary’s Cathedral featuring historic objects of interest relating to Limerick food culture. (Admission is free, 11am-4pm Mondays to Saturdays.)
Saturday Sep 17th
10.30AM: Pigtown Cookery Demos at the Milk Market Presents… Wade Murphy & Grainne Scullane
First in series of cookery demos at the Milk Market Upstairs, capacity limited (Admission is free)
- From London to Chicago, Egypt to across Ireland, Wade Murphy has worked in some of the top kitchens around the world and is a regular on the RTE Today show. Seasonal local produce is the foundation of Wade’s food philosophy at his restaurant 1826 Adare.
- Grainne Scullane was a Transition Year student at St Anne’s Community College, Killaloe when she became the overall competition winner of the Shannon Region Junior Chef of the Year 2022 and received the 1st Place Gold Medal from 450 TY students in a competition by the Limerick and Clare Education and Training Board (LCETB).
Sunday Sep 18th
3.00PM: “What’s on the Menu? Limerick Restaurants 1860-1960”
Pigtown Walking Tour with historian Dr Paul O’Brien. Meeting point: outside Brown Thomas, O’Connell Street, Limerick. (Admission is free)
Sittings from 6PM: Pigtown Dinner by Chef Mike Tweedie at The Oak Room Restaurant, Adare Manor
Chef Mike Tweedie has designed a special set menu for the Michelin starred Oak Room at Adare Manor focused on locally based suppliers/producers.
Price: €140 per person (beverages not included).
Bookings: Book online at https://adare-manor.tablepath.com/dining-reservations or call the Adare Manor dining team on 061605246.
Friday Sep 23rd
6PM-7PM: Pigtown Pig Parade – back for the first time since 2019!
Kiddies bring your piggies – if you have toy pigs, from stuffed ones to Peppa or Toy Story’s Ham, why not bring them along as we all march in the Parade together!
Gathering in Bedford Row at 6pm with face-painting and more fun for young and old. Everyone is invited to come along and join in our parade through the streets of Limerick City…
5PM-8PM: Culture Night Pigtown Party at the Milk Market – Parade Afterparty
“This Little Piggy went to the Milk Market…” (Admission is free)
Family fun at the Milk Market in a Pigtown Party that will include mobile petting farm, a pig mask-making workshop, hot food vendors, craft stalls, live music and more.
The free mask making workshop will be hosted upstairs by Lumen Street Theatre and run from 5.30pm to 7.30pm. It is suitable for children aged 10-13 years, younger participants will need a parent to assist. Places in the workshop are limited to 12 children and will operate on a first-come-first-served basis.
5-9PM: Pig’n’Poke on Nicholas Street featuring Dan Sykes of Springfield Castle with Keith Pigott, DJ and guests, in association with Treaty City Brewery
Dan Sykes from The Green Room at Springfield Castle joins Chef Keith Pigott and Stephen Cunneen of Treaty City Brewery for a Pig’n’Poke event to celebrate Culture Night in the Medieval Quarter on King’s Island. Dan’s Beef Flank Tacos and Keith’s Slow-Cooked Pork Butt in local brioche, as well as Hawaiian Poke bowls for vegans, vegetarians or pescatarians, will be on offer alongside Steve’s exclusive brew, the ‘Pigtown Pilsner 2.0’, a bohemian pilsner brewed in Limerick especially for the occasion. (Admission is free, food/drink cost at stalls.)
Saturday Sep 24th
10.30AM: Pigtown Cookery Demos at the Milk Market Presents… Mike Tweedie & Patryk Bielawski
Second in series of cookery demos at the Milk Market Upstairs, capacity limited. (Admission is free)
- Mike Tweedie is Executive Head Chef at Michelin-starred restaurant, The Oak Room at Adare Manor.
- Patryk Bielawski is Head Chef at The Bedford Townhouse & Café
3PM-5PM: MEET THE MAKER at Rigney’s Rarebreed Pork Farm with Chef Tom Flavin
Meet the Rigney’s and have a guided tour of their Rare Breed Pig Farm in picturesque Curraghchase, Co, Limerick… Enjoy a Sourdough Baking and Pulled Pork Making demonstration with award-winning Chef Tom Flavin, and sample some lush cocktails and freshly made hot snacks of locally grown and foraged produce, served on freshly baked bread.
Featuring: A taste of Chateau Ardagh (Limited Edition Wine Made in West Limerick); Homemade Rhubarb Wine (Traditional Recipe from 1932); Elderflower Gin and Attyflin Rosette Apple Cocktails; Pulled Pork and Beetroot Sliders; Pork Belly & Green Tomato Chutney on Freshly Baked Sourdough; Attyflin Apple Crumble pots with Fresh Duck Egg Custard and Rigney’s Granola.
Price: Tickets €35 per person / 1Adult+1Child (under 12 years) €45
Monday Sep 26th – RESCHEDULED TALK
1PM-2PM: ‘Queen Victoria and Limerick Ham’ – guest lecture by Dr Matthew Potter, Curator of Limerick Museum taking place at St Mary’s Cathedral. (Admission is free)
Tuesday Sep 27th
6PM: The Italian Supperclub: The Pigtown Edition
Tuscany Bistro Castletroy presents The Italian Supperclub: The Pigtown Edition. This event will consist of a 4-course set menu; appetisers on arrival, starter, main course & dessert. Each course will be paired with a delicious cocktail. Both food & cocktails will have a Pigtown theme. The evening will also include a cooking demo with one of Tuscany’s newest chefs and a cocktail demo by Ireland’s very own Dingle Gin. Each guest will receive a recipe book with the recipes for the food and cocktails made on the night. Please note that this event is not suitable for vegetarians.
Price: €65 per person +booking fee.
Wednesday Sep 28th
Evening: Pigtown Dinner at Sash Restaurant, No1 Pery Square Hotel & Spa
Enjoy a taste of local, seasonal Limerick on a plate with a menu featuring starter of Ballyhoura Mushroom Gnocchi, Smoked New Leaf Urban Farm Leeks, and a Hakurei Turnip Dashi. For mains it’s Caroline Rigney’s Pork Belly, Candied Pork Cheek, Black Pudding Purée, New Leaf Urban Farm Carrots, and a Treaty City Brewery Pale Ale Jus. Finish with Temple Roe Farm Raw Milk & Castleconnell Wild Honey Parfait, Attyflin Apple & Lavender Gel, Honeycomb.
Price €49.00 per person + booking fee including welcome cocktail. A wine pairing to include 3 wines is available at an additional €29 per person.
Thursday Sep 29th
Evening: Pigtown Dinner at the Mustard Seed
An annual sell-out evening in the renowned Ballingarry restaurant, the Pigtown Dinner at the Mustard Seed returns for another year on Thursday September 29th 2022 with four course menu.
Price €55 per person. A special overnight rate of €69.00 per person (sharing, including breakfast) is available exclusively for diners who wish to stay the night.
Bookings: Please call the Mustard Seed on 069 68508.
7-9PM: MEET THE MAKER at Treaty City Brewery with Chef Keith Pigott
Beer as an ingredient… Steve Talks beer, Keith cooks beer. An evening of food and drink, local as f**k: Harris Pale Ale Barley & Beef Risotto; Invasion IPA Rarebit On Novak’s Sourdough; Rigney’s Free Range Pork Sausage Roll With Outcast Mustard and Smoked Ketchup; 70% Dark Chocolate & Sarsfield Stout Cake.
Price: €35 per person includes all food & drink. Each attendee will get a copy of the recipes and a sample of all the food and beer used on the night.
Bookings: Book you place on the Brewery website at treatycitybrewery.ie
Saturday Oct 1st
10.30AM: Pigtown Cookery Demos at the Milk Market Presents… Alex Timms & George Casey
Third in series of cookery demos at the Milk Market Upstairs, capacity limited. (Admission is free)
The final morning of the festival features two chef demonstrations :-
- Alex Timms is Head Chef at No1 Pery Square Hotel
- George Casey spent over 15 years cooking in Michelin started restaurants around the globe before returning to Ireland to setup an elite private catering business, George Casey Catering.
4.00PM: Pigtown ‘Paint the Town Pink’ Street Party
* * * * *
Look out for Pigtown Specials in restaurants across Limerick…
From Saturday Sep 17th until Oct 1st 2022:
- Milk Market Saturday Famous Food Market – Pigtown specials at various stalls
- 1826 Adare – Pigtown Specials Daily
- The Treehouse at Fitzgerald’s Woodlands Hotel Adare – Pigtown Special: Brioche bun Beef Burger, Cheddar cheese, Lettuce, Brian Wilmotts Pulled pork, Marys garden honey BBQ sauce + Confit Garlic Aioli & pickled onions
- The French Table on Steamboat Quay – Pigtown Specials Daily in collaboration with Garret’s Butchers.
- Lunch: Roasted Pork Sandwich, Spinach, Matured Mossfield Cheese, Mustard Mayonnaise.
- ‘Le Pied de Cochon’ – Warm Tartine of Pigs Crubeens, Granny Smith Apple & Wholegrain Mustard
- ‘La Tourte’ – Pork & Fois Gras Pie, Sauerkraut, Velouté
- Sodalicious at Lower Cecil Street – ask for the Pigtown Ploughman Sandwich: Limerick baked ham (in house), Glenstal Cheddar, locally grown mixed leaves from Doon, beef tomatoes, Mayo, House Relish on Sodalicious award winning Cheddar and Chive soda bread
- Limerick Strand Hotel – Pigtown Special: Rigney’s Plate of the Pig €24.95: Chargrilled pork loin chop on the bone with award winning black pudding croquette, New Leaf Urban Farmer’s glazed carrots & beetroot, served with Attyflin apple jus.
Contact us if your restaurant/café/bar is offering a Pigtown Special during #PigtownLimerick
* * * * *
Keep on celebrating post festival…
Sunday Oct 9th
11AM-3PM: “The Art of Pigtown” Art Fair
The Milk Market hosts ‘The Art of Pigtown’ Art Fair. (Admission is free)
* * * * *
Don’t miss Limerick Milk Market
Visit the Famous Food Market EVERY Saturday morning 8am-2pm
At the Farmer’s Market at Limerick Milk Market in the heart of the city https://www.milkmarketlimerick.ie/
* * * * *
Pigtown Hotels – Where To Stay
STAY in Limerick during Pigtown:
Available throughout the festival:
Pigtown Gourmet package at No1 Pery Square Hotel & Spa https://oneperysquare.com/